About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Baby Size Referee

A dear friend of mine contacted me because she wants to have her baby boy be a referee for Halloween.  The only problem is that it's a really hard costume to come by in a size 9 months.  Luckily she had an old referee shirt that could be transformed.
I started with this adult sized shirt.  I pinned in the collar at the seam to shrink it down to baby size (using a 9 month shirt as a guide)
then I turned it inside out and sewed along the existing seam where I pinned.

I trimmed off the excess and grabbed my 9 month shirt again to use as a pattern.
I lined it up to the center of my collar and pinned it in place.  Next I cut around the shirt (through both top and bottom layers) leaving about 1/2 inch around it to allow for seams.  Here's where I am so far. Notice, I cut the bottom in a curve like the original shirt.  To get it right I cut it out on paper first, then pinned it on.  I also made the length of the shirt about 3 inches longer to allow for the curve.

Next, I used the existing sleeves to create smaller sleeves. Lining up with the top side of the sleeve. ( I used my 9 month shirt to cut out a little template of the sleeve)
Although I didn't take pictures of the next part, you basically just sew all the pieces together at this point.  I opened up the shirt and pinned on the sleeves.  You sew the top of the sleeve on first then sew up the bottom (like in a standard pattern).  Once I had the sleeves on, I sewed up the sides of the shirt and hemmed the bottom.

The end product is a miniature referee shirt.  It even looks store bought with the tag still in from the existing shirt.
Hope it works out well, Annette.  Super quick and fun way to get a costume together.  You could use this same method to turn just about any old shirt you have into a baby sized one.

2 comments:

Annette said...

I may be a little biased, but I'm pretty sure this is the cutest thing you've ever made ;) Only two more weeks till he gets to wear it!!

Melissa Engler (Logan & Micah's mom) said...

I want one, you should sell them online.