About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tiered Skirts for My Baby Girl

Every day she grows a little more.  Mommy has to keep up. Plus, I have the extra fabric laying around taking up space anyways.

The skirts are pretty easy. I started with her waist measurement which was 18 and multiplied by 1.5.  That means my first tier needs to be 27 inches wide.   

Then do 27 x 1.5 for the next tier, which was 40 inches wide.
One more time for the last tier 40 x 1.5 = 60 inches wide.

Then to decide the length of each tier, you would measure the length from waist to knee.  My skirt needed to be 10 inches long.  I had 5 inches of the black on top and 2 inches of it went into folding over the waistband - another 1/2 inch gets taken for the seams.  Then 5 inches of each of the other two.   If you wanted each tier equal, you need to add extra to the top tier.  Anyways, I hope that makes sense.  If not, there is a detailed tutorial at Make It and Love It.
For this one, I just added a 3 inch ruffle to the bottom.  I took the width of the skirt and multiplied that same 1.5.  If you want it more ruffly, you can also multiply by 2.

No comments: