About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

Easy-To-Make Wallet

I made some cute little wallets for my kiddos for Christmas this year. I'm tired of them not having a place for their money and tired of the cheap kid wallets from the store that fall apart at the seams.

Here is what I came up with:
It has a place for the bills, a pocket for whatever card or papers they want to put in and a velcro pocket for the coins.
 I also made felt letters on the front as a monogram so they know who's is who.

Want to make one of your own?  Here's my tutorial.

I started with:
2 rectangles 5" x 8" (for outside)
2 rectangles 4 1/2" x 8" (for inside 1)
2 rectangles 3 1/2" x 8" (for inside 2)
2 small rectangles 3 1/2" x 2" (for the inside flap)
2 rectangles 2 1/2" x 2" (for the strap to close it)
some velcro
Felt Letter if you want to personalize it.

I started by stitching on my letter on the front as well as sewing the velcro (soft side) to the outside of my wallet like so.
Put that aside and sew the other side of your velcro to one of your strap pieces. 
Sew together the strap by putting your two pieces with right sides together and sewing around three sides like so:
Next, work on your inside flap, doing the same as you did on the strap

lip off the sewn corners so that when you turn them right side out they can lay flatter.

Turn right side out and set aside
Get your fabric rectangles for the inside of your wallet.  Line up the two 4 1/2" x 8" rectangles with right sides together.  Sew along one of the long sides (this will be the top of your pocket inside). Repeat with the 3 1/2" x 8" rectangle.
Turn the right sides out and press flat with an iron. You should now have these four pieces sewn. (you can top stitch along your sewn edge if you like how that looks)

Line up your two large rectangle pieces on top of one another.  Use your flap to line up where to put the other side of your velcro on the wallet (making sure to allow room for a seam on your right edge)
  First, you will sew on your other side of velcro, then fold over the unfinished end of your flap to sew onto the larger rectangle and sew a seam up the middle to divide your pockets (as seen above).

Next you are going to layer all your pieces to sew them together.  Starting at the bottom.  Place your largest rectangle (for the outside) without your velcro and letter right side up on your work surface.  Next you will lay your sewn together rectangles for the inside.  Next, place your strap half way up along the right side with your velcro facing down.

Finally, you are going to lay the outside piece left on top - right side down with your velcro and letter on the left side.
Pin around the edges.  You are going to sew along the right, bottom and left edges leaving your top open. as so:
Clip the sewn edges like before and turn the wallet right side out and you will have this.
Now fold over your top edges to the inside of your wallet.  Sew along this for your top seam.
And you are finished.  You have a cute little wallet for your little one.

 I made four different ones in all different colors. It was a fun and quick project using scraps I already had on hand.  Perfect for a stocking stuffer or last minute gift.

No comments: