About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Toy Box Into Bench Makeover


When Jared was little, his father built this toy box for their toys.  It was given to us when we started having kids. It was a dark wood color to begin with.  When we got it, I painted it white and padded the inside for my kids to use as a toy box.  Years have gone by and the toy box has traveled along with us but it's usually just filled with whatever junk we need to store.  It has been moved from room to room trying to find a place that we have space for it.  Still, my husband can't bear to part with it because his father built it and it has sentimental value. 

I've thought for a long time that I'd make it nice again and turn it into a bench seat, but I finally started the project.  As you can see (above) it had nicks and scratches in the paint.  So I started with that.  a fresh coat of white paint.
Already a huge improvement.  Next, I used my Silhouette cutter to give it a little flair.  I mod podged the letters on.  (It probably would have been easier to use vinyl, but I only have a white roll and didn't want the extra expense right now)

A huge improvement.  Next, I'm going some fabric to make a pad for the top.  It looks so much nicer, I am not so embarrassed to have it in our front room now.

2 comments:

Adam and Kristin said...

I love the font with your family name on it! It looks adorable! Good work Shelly!

Nathan & Bethany Soelberg said...

it looks great! love the font!