About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hooded Towels

If your kids are anything like mine, keeping a towel on after swimming or a day at the beach is not easy. They drag it behind them or are so encumbered with holding it on, they can't help carry any of the rest of our stuff.  By the end of last summer, I was tired of carrying everything.  It was only too late in the year that I started to see a ton of cute inexpensive ways to make your own hooded towels.  I was no longer motivated to make something that we wouldn't use until next year.  Well, I was at Target (my most favorite store) and they had some towels in their "dollar section" for $2.50.  This was what I've been waiting for.  I picked up 2 turquoise ones because I knew it would match all the towels that we already had.

So here is what I did.  I started by taking out the end seams of the towel.  Mostly because they are really thick and it would be hard to sew on.
Next I cut the towel into strips for the hoods about 11 1/2 inches wide.  I cut across the width of the towel because the edges are already finished.  Those finished edges will be on the front of the hood and save you some sewing.
Next, I sewed along the top edge of the hood.  Fold your strip in half (with the finished edges together) making sure the right side of the material is in.  I folded down about 1/4 inch then folded it again.  This double fold will keep the cloth from fraying.

Now I found the middle of my towel and lined it up with the middle of my hood.  I did another double fold and pinned it to the towel, then sewed it on.
That's it. You're finished and this is what it should look like.  I also like that it doesn't ruin the original towel.  When the kids grow out of it (if I haven't worn the towels out yet) I can just pull out that one seam and the hood comes off.  Nice, huh?


Here are all 5 of my finished towels (although the baby didn't enjoy her head being covered up and tossed hers off). Now I just have to look for the 5 turquoise heads at the beach AND the towels stay on even if they aren't holding them on. 
I think I might try the same principle for making hooded baby towels for gifts, too!

1 comment:

mystic cher said...

Awesome job! I need make some of those too!