About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Refurbished Porch Swing

I found this little beauty out at the curb with a whole bunch of other stuff ready for the trash.  But I knew we've been wanting a porch swing for a long time.  The frame was good - not even rusty -

 
but the fabric seat was trashed.

I thought, I could fix that!  So it was off to the fabric store to look for some new fabric.  I found the outdoor fabrics and then thought, Whoa!  $20 a yard that's like $100 in fabric alone.  Yikes.  Maybe the swing will go right back into the trash heap where I found it after all. As I was talking to the lady at the cutting table, telling her about my price tag problem, she told me to look in the red tag fabrics and see if there was any there.  She walked me back and pulled out 3 or 4 choices that had a much more reasonable $8 a yard price tag.  What a steal, right?  One fabric immediately stood out and I got it right away.  
Next, I needed the batting for the inside - again, I needed outdoor appropriate stuff and it is a little more expensive, but thanks to Joann's 40% off coupons, I had it covered.  I was able to use the batting (as seen above) for half of it, it just needed to be cleaned off a little. 
So for about $60 of $70 I was able to make this porch swing new again.  Pretty good deal considering we would have paid 3 or 4 times that for a new one. 

Here's the "new" swing!
I actually wanted to repaint the bars white, too, but Jared talked me out of it. I think it looks pretty good -especially for my first time covering a swing.  I'm excited to have a place to relax and read a book while the kids are playing outside or cuddle with my hubby on those warm summer nights.  Yay!

2 comments:

FitNotQuitJess said...

Swings are GREAT! Especially if they're under cover then you can sit on a warm-rainy evening and watch it rain (really soothing)

Stephanie said...

I wanna sit on that swing!! Oh well, maybe next year...Looks fantab! Miss you guys!!