About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Swim Hat

I made a little swim hat for this summer.  I needed something with straps so she couldn't take it off as easily as a regular hat.  I found some cute swim material and here is what I got

I started with a circle the size of the head
The picture above is not the actual pattern, but you should get the idea.  You measure the length around the circle.  This is going to be the length of fabric you need around the the top of your head.  You can make it as high or short as you want.  Mine is about 2 inches.  Then you need two curved pieces for the brim.  If your curve is the same curve as your circle, then your brim will be perpendicular to your forehead or sticking straight out like a top hat.  The flatter you make your curve, the more your brim will lay flat by your face.  I basically two "hats".  One for the outside and one for the lining and sewed them together along the brim. I attached my chin straps into my lining before I put them together (not that you can tell under her chubby chin).Hope that all makes sense.
 
Anyways, it was my first time making this kind of hat and it turned out pretty good.  I'm happy with it.  Now she can keep the sun off her bald little head when we go swimming.
Anyways