About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bench Covers

My husband and I were so excited when we purchased our first NEW furniture item two years ago when we bought our house.  We have been married for 10 years but have always bought things from thrift stores or gotten hand-me-downs from other people. Well, we always have wanted a square dining table with bench seating  and they are really hard to come so when we found it at a random furniture store in Orange, we knew it was meant to be ours.

2 short years later, it has been roughly loved by our 5 children.
Our two littlest boys learned how to "draw" in the table with their forks (big time trouble for that one) and the leather benches just aren't meant to be jumped on by little legs.  After many months of this:

Trying to hold the seams together with duct tape and keep the kids from peeling the leather off with their little busy fingers, I finally made some black fabric covers to hide the wear and tear.

It's removable, washable and fits well -except for the corner piece that was very hard to figure out due to it's weird shape.  I waited until the home decor fabrics went on 60% off at Joann's so it wouldn't hurt the wallet quite as bad.  I'd say this was a much better solution than buying a new dining set.  I think I will eventually do something in a print on the two remaining leather chairs, but for now I thought I'd share my project with you.

No comments: