About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Felt Flowers

Just wanted to show you some ways to make cute felt flowers I used in my fall wreath.  All you need are some long strips of felt.  My smaller flowers were made from 13 inch strips, the larger ones were about 30 - 40 inches (left over from some felt yardage I had from my Thanksgiving Countdown Calender).

#1 Rolled Flowers
For this flower, you simply roll strips about 1/2 inch thick.  You can do it with straight or wavy strips. 

You simply start with one end and roll up the strips.  Here is what the straight one will look like when it is rolled up:
 Here is the wavy strip once it is rolled up.  Just a little more texture.
I used a needle and thread to put some stitches trough the roll to secure it in place.

#2 Rolled Petal Flowers
Start with a strip cut about 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide.
First you are going to fold it in half lengthwise and cut notches in.  Make sure you don't cut all the way through.  It should look like this
Once you have cut notches in the entire length, you roll it like you rolled the others. 
This time the notches you made will form petals.  Stitch it as you go from the back to keep it secure.

When you are finished rolling, it should look like this

And from the back, you can see all my stitches in brown.

#3 Rolled Flower From Scraps
For this type of flower, I took my crazy leftover scraps from other projects.  You can see that I had cut out circles from this red felt in the past.
I rolled up these scraps along their edges like this

When I was done, the back wasn't flat.  It was all messy like this
So I just cut it straight and then stitched my flower together
#4 Circle or Scalloped Edge Flowers.
For the last kind of flower you can either cut out circle in varying shapes and stack them or look online for a free flower template and use it to cut out flowers. I'm sorry I didn't save the link from the one I found.  Anyways, you cut them out, stack them and put a secure X stitch in the middle.





All in all the flowers are pretty easy to make and take very little sewing skill.  You could easily make these and stick them to just about any project you wanted with a little hot glue.  

No comments: