About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Spooky Banner and Halloween Cans

Made a couple more Halloween crafts for the season.  Thought I would share the ideas:

 Spooky Banner


 For this project, I used 3 Halloween designed 12x12 papers, 1 sheet of gray 12x12, 1 sheet of black 12x12 and some letter stamps, string or ribbon, paper cutter with scoring tool, and a hole punch.  I cut the Halloween papers into 6x6 squares.  Then I used my scoring tool to score lines on the paper every 1/2 inch.  I folded it like a fan, then folded my fan in half. I used tape to secure.  This makes one half of your circle.  Do the same for the other side and staple or tape together.  Continue this step until you have all 6 circles.  Now take your black paper and cut 6 circles for the letters - I made 3 1/2 inch circles, but you can do any size you like.  Then I cut 6 - 3 inch circles out of the gray. I glued the gray circles on the black and then stamped my letters on.  Finally, take your letters and glue them onto your fanned circles (hot glue works well).  I punched two holes in the top and threaded some string through to it.  You can use ribbon to be more fancy, but I had this string on hand.  Whatever works.  If you want a bigger banner, you could certainly keep your paper in the 12x12 size and score every inch instead. I liked the little one so that I'd have more room to put more things up on my wall as we make more projects.

Halloween Can Decorations:




I love how these little cans bring a little variety to my mantle.  And they are super easy to make!  Look through your kitchen for any foods you have packaged in cylinders to make this easy craft.  My cans were a pringle can, a soup can and a peanut jar (note: the peanut container had an indentation at the top, but you can't tell once you wrap it up anyways).  You could also use a parmesan cheese container, soda cans, etc. Be creative and upcylce!  Anyways, I took my cans and first wrapped them in white tissue paper. I secured the top with some cute ribbon and cut the tops to be straight.  Then, I took some Halloween scrapbook paper (though you could easily use wrapping paper as well)  and cut it to the height I wanted on the cans.  I wrapped it around and taped  it on.  From here you can leave the cans as is, or decorate them in any way you want. I used a "Boo" sticker on the black one.  On the candy corn one, I wrapped a ribbon around with a little tag that says "Spooky" (although its a little hard to see in the picture).  On the last one I tore a pumpkin out of orange paper, inked the edges for contrast, and drew a face on.  You can be as creative as you want with these little guys, though (buttons, ribbons, stickers, die cuts, vinyl, etc.)  Enjoy!






3 comments:

Happy Heavin said...

FUN!! I didn't know you were crafty!! I want to be, just I've never tried! ha ha and I KNOW that I can't use I don't have time as an excuse if you're able to do it!!

CUTE CUTE stuff!

Wynter said...

So cute!

Nathan & Bethany Soelberg said...

I love that banner! Adorable. Looks like you have been having a blast and really getting into fall!

Miss you all!