About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thanksgiving Calendar

I saw this idea on my frriend Ambers' blog last year and I loved it.  (I'd link her in but it's a prvate blog).  So I've been working on it for the last month or so.  It's based off of Pottery Barn's Thanksgiving calendar seen here
It's a countdown calendar to Thanksgiving.  Each little square is a pocket with a paper inside that reminds you of something you are thankful for.  It also has a small activity to perform to show your thanks.  We started it on Tuesday and so far we've had "I'm Thankful for my Brothers - do something nice for your brothers"  and "I'm Thankful for my Legs - go outside run, jump and ride your bikes."  The kids love it and I'm happy to have a new tradition to remind us to be thankful during the month of Thanksgiving.  You can find the paper ideas on Sugardoodle here.  Although I made mine a little different and added a few,  I still used her ideas.  It will be easy to change them out as the kids grow up, too.   I also covered the front of the papers with packing tape - poor man's way of laminating.  It helps them be more durable so that the kids can't ruin them too easily.  All it needs now is for me to head to the craft store and get a dowel and ribbon so I can hang it properly.  Hope you enjoy!



5 comments:

Darice said...

It looks awesome- I am loving all of your cute crafts- you are inspiring me!!

The Special Reds said...

I think I want to make this--do you have another link for the pattern that's not private?

Shelly said...

I didn't really use a pattern. The squares for the pockets are 3 x 3 inches. I cut all the shapes on them by hand. Then I bought the felt numbers at Joanns. They are the stick on kind, but I still glued them because they didn't stick very well. The orange felt for the back I bought on the remnant isle at Joanns and cut it to fit (I think its 25 x 29 with 3 inches around the edges and 1 inch between the squares.) Hope that helps.

The Special Reds said...

Thanks, Shelly! That does help. I think I will make this early next week so we can get started on our "thankful" things. It would be cute to make one for Halloween, too! I'm imagining pockets filled with spooky kid crafts to make. Have a good weekend!

My Kids Make said...

This is beautiful! I love the idea of the papers inside that remind you to be thankful for specific things. Great idea!!!