About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Make Your Own Skeleton Costume

Hunter really wanted a skeleton costume this year, but I didn't have the 20-30 bucks for buying any new costumes this year.  So I made one. I found a black shirt and black sweat pants for $4 each at Target.  Then I got 1/4 yard of white felt and 1 yard of "Wonder Under" (if you have never used it, you need to try it) for under $5.  I put the shirt and pants on Hunter and measured how big I needed all the bones.  The wonder under is great because you iron onto your fabric and it has a papery side. I drew out my bones on the paper side and cut them out.  Then you remove the paper and you can iron onto the shirt and pants.  For extra good measure, you should sew around the edges (but I'm lazy and skipped that part - I'll probably go back and sew it later so it will last for had-me-downs).  Here's how it came out:

I'm really happy with how it turned out and I'm much happier about the $10 I spent versus the $20-30 I would have spent for the costume.  The shirt and pants will hold up much better than the thin material on most costumes anyways.  They make those things so cheap.  I can't wait for him to try it out for reals.

No comments: