About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Flower Hair Bows

While I was making my headbands, I couldn't resist making a couple of hair clips, too.  I made a purple silky flower one using the same technique as the red flower headband.  If you use silky polyester material, it melts around edges.  This was a thinner material than the red material so it actually curls up a little in the areas that I melted.  I like the curled up edges effect it has.  
  • I started with some circles of varying sizes that I cut by hand - they do not need to be perfect circles.
  • I got out my lighter and brought it close to the edges of my circles. You don't actually have to touch the material, you will see it shrink back away from the flame when you get it close.
  • I piled up the circles from biggest to smallest (with the smallest on top) and sewed some small beads into the center for a little sparkle.  You could also use a button or anything else you like in the middle.
  • Once I got it how I liked, I hot glued it onto my clip.  
My daughter already knows which outfit she wants to wear this one with.

For this one, I used some crinkled up sheer material that I picked up in one of the remnant bins at Joann's. I have no idea what it is called, but it has a little sheen to it.  To start, you cut out several circles (all the same size).  One by one, you fold your circles into quarters and sew them together (or glue them).  Keep going until you have the fullness you want.  This is the same technique I used for the pink/white headband in my last post.
Click on the images if you want a closer look.


No comments: