About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Knit Ruffle Scarf





I found this idea on one of the blogs I follow and now that I'm looking for it to give them credit, I can't find it.  Anyways, it's pretty easy and inexpensive to make one of your own.  I bought 1 3/4 yards of this pretty knit material (and I will have lots left over for more projects later.)

For this project you will need four strips measuring 5 inches by 60 inches.
**(if you don't want lots left over, you can do 8 strips measuring 5x30 with a 42 inch nap - that's only 5/6 of a yard)

Set aside one strip for the back of your scarf 
**or sew two of your 30 inch strips together to make one long strip and set aside

Now, you are going to work on your ruffles.  I started by making small chalk marks along both sides every inch for reference.
Pinch the material up from one chalk line to the chalk line two up from it and pin on each side (the chalk line in between should be on the inside fold).
When you get to the end of the strip, just tuck the next piece under your fold and keep going.  You will sew them together when you sew it to the backing.  Keep doing your ruffles until you have your full length.  (3 strips 60 inches long or 6 strips 30 inches long)

Now you are ready to sew.  Start on one side of the scarf. Line up your back piece with the edge of your ruffles and sew down the side making sure it stays lined up as you go.
I sewed both sides with my ruffles down (as above) so that I wouldn't have to worry about them getting stuck under my sewing foot.  Once you are done with both sides, you are going to sew down the middle (this will keep your scarf together so that it lays flat).
Now, your scarf is finished.  I took my scissors to some of my uneven edges and did some light trimming up where I didn't sew it exactly perfect.  It's pretty forgiving, though.

TA DA. I couldn't decide which way I liked it wrapped better so I have two showing two different ways you can wear the scarf.  My model was excited to do the pictures until I made her brush her hair first - thus the lack of smiling.  Oh well. 

I'm giving this one away as a gift, but I may just have to make another for myself.  It's good that I have extra material!

No comments: