About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Purple Shirt Upcycled To a Baby Dress

I had an old maternity shirt that I no longer need but I really liked the color and feel of the material.  So I decided to upcycle it into a new shirt for my baby girl.  It had elastic at the bottom to fit under my big pregnant belly.  This is the part I used for the new shirt. I started by just cutting off the bottom portion of the shirt.

I measured over ten inches (because my baby has a 20 inch chest) and sewed through both sides of the material.

Then I cut off the extra portion and used it to make a couple of straps.

At this point I tried it on my baby girl to see where I wanted the straps to go.  I marked the fabric with chalk (although pins would also work just as well). I also measured over her shoulders to see how long I wanted them.  I sewed the straps in place and here is what I've got.

I left the bottom edge raw because this fabric is thin and extra stretchy and  I didn't want to risk it puckering, stretching or warping in my machine.  I'm not that good with knits yet.  So many secrets left to be learned.  I like how it turned out, though and it will be fun to wear in the warm weather.



1 comment:

Wynter said...

Wow! That's adorable!