About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thanksgiving Turkey Onesie

I wanted to make my baby something cute for Thanksgiving and here is what I came up with. 

I started with some circles folded in sixths in fall colors for the turkey feathers. I did it the same way as in the flower onesie I made. I pinned them on my onesie like so:
 Next I put some Wonder Under on the back of some brown material and orange material.  Just small pieces about 3 inches by 4 inches to cut out my turkey body, and orange for the feet and beak (you will use the rest of the orange later on). Make sure the "feathers" are tucked far enough under so that when you sew around the edges of the brown material, it will also hold them in place.  Here is what mine looked like after ironing on the turkey:

I used the rest of my orange to iron on to the back side of the onesie.  I have found that the material is so light on the onesies that the knit can get stuck in your machine while sewing.  This added some thickness and stiffness to keep that from happening:

Then I sewed with brown thread around the turkey body, making sure that the feathers are sewn in, too.  Then I sewed on two little eyes and voila!  A cute little turkey for my little turkey.

After washing the feathers will fray a little at the edges, too. It will be perfect.  Can't wait to wear it and show it off.



2 comments:

FitNotQuitJess said...

that's way cute shelly!

Debi said...

Really cute!