About me

Hi! I'm Shelly - mother of 5 and wife to the best man in the world. We love to play games and watch movies together. I have a passion for crafting in all it's forms - sewing, scrapbooking, bow making, painting, mod podge, you name it and I'll try it. Hope you enjoy our family adventures and crafts!

How I Became Shared Jelly

When my husband and I first got married we used to get messages on our answering machine for "Shared" and "Jelly" instead of Jared and Shelly. The first time we chuckled a little over it and by the fourth or fifth time, we decided the name should stick somewhere. And so, I've been sharing jelly all over the internet since. Enjoy!

Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Turn An Old Shirt into Girls Leggings

If you are like me, you have plenty of old shirts that you either throw away or have lying around.  Why not turn them into something new and get some more use out of those shirts you don't wear anymore.  There are lots of things you can do with knit material.

Today, I took an old tank top and I'm turning it into some new leggings for my little baby girl. Here's how:

I made my own pattern using a pair of leggings we already have.

Cut through both sides of your shirt so that you get two pieces at a time.  When you cut, use the bottom of your shirt as the bottom of your pants - then you don't have to hem them at the end.  I cut around the pants, making sure to leave room for seams.

Then flip them over and cut the other half of your pants.
Line up your pieces and put them right sides together.  Then sew along the edge where you see the pins.  Only from the top to the peak in the middle.  Take what you just sewed and open them up.  Line your two new pieces together and put them right sides together again like this:

Now you are going to sew the sides and middle (between the legs).  Fold over the top of your pants at the top, leaving some room to put elastic in.

Sew around the top making sure to leave a little space to put your elastic in.  To measure how much elastic you need, measure your child's waist and subract 1-2 inches.  I like to put a safety pin at the end of my elastic so that it's easy to feed through the top.













  Sew the ends of your elastic together and you are finished.
Perfectly good pants and soooooo easy to make.  Love it.  I have two more pairs coming.


1 comment:

Debi said...

I make these too. You can get a new t-shirt at the Dollar Tree and they will look like new pants. I buy the largest size I can find. The sleeves make newborn caps.
If there's enough fabric left,I put it on the back of a handmade bib for extra absorbency. Cool blog!